Certificate of identity for foreign children
The certificate of identity serves as residence permit for children under the age of 12 who legally stay in Belgium and who do not have Belgian nationality.
The certificate of identity is not compulsory and must be requested by the parents from the municipality with which the child is registered.
The certificate of identity is valid for a maximum of 2 years and expires:
- in the event of a change of address or residence of the child
- in the event of a change of last name, first name or nationality of the child
- when the child reaches the age of 12 years
To apply for a certificate of identity from your municipality, you must:
- have parental authority over the child
- go to the municipality with the child
- have a recent identity photo of the child
- provide contact details of a person to be notified in the event of an emergency
Royal Decree of 10 December 1996 on the various identity documents for children under the age of 12